Many Twitter users last December had their passwords compromised. Our team of Irvine computer consultants would like to remind you about the importance of making sure all your passwords are secure and changed from time-to-time.
It’s always best to practice wise security measures when it deals with your passwords and data; however, now it’s even getting more urgent that you do so as almost everything is done online which means that hackers are always attempting to gain access to it.
According to a report published in December indicating that Twitter had been hacked, it tends to drive home the point that practicing safe password management could save your business from threats of identity threats caused by hacking which can cause irreparable damage to your businesses, and in some cases your personal identity.
What are some measures that you can take to make sure the safety of your data? Let’s take a look at some things you can do to keep your passwords in a SSS (safe, strong and secure) environment.
- Keep your passwords in a safe place out-of-the-way of eagle eyes — Don’t give anyone a chance to gain access to your passwords by leaving them open on your computer desktop, or even leaving a file open (written and/or electronic).
- Avoid common words — Use a mixture of characters that uses a variety of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and punctuation. Don’t use your company name, department, etc.
- Don’t use your personal information, a string of letters that are next to each other on the keyboard or repeat your username as the password — Be safe, not sorry. You don’t want hackers to be able to guess what you might be using as a password.
- Change your passwords at a minimum of every 90 days — This gives those that wish to do you harm less time to learn your password habits.
- Resist using the same username for all of your accounts like your blog, website admin, Facebook, Twitter and others — Yes, that means you’ll have to keep track of all that information — safely.
While this information about Twitter may be a couple of months old, that doesn’t mean that you as a business shouldn’t be vigilant and be aware of things that affect the security of your data.
Throughout the business day, Greenlight takes care of business IT systems across Orange County. We are your local Irvine IT Support organization. Our team of trusted professionals can help you by watching the trends for you and sharing those newsworthy events and happenings with you through this blog.
Please check back for new trends in computers and business IT.